590. Having given ghusl to the body, it is obligatory to apply ÎunÙÔ on it, which is done by applying camphor to the forehead, the palms, the knees and the tip of the big toes. Recommended precaution dictates that a small amount of camphor should also be placed on these parts. It is recommended to apply camphor on the tip of the nose as well.
The camphor should be powdered and fresh, and if it is so stale that it has lost its fragrance, it will not suffice.
591. The recommended precaution is that the camphor should first be applied on the forehead. However, a sequence has not been stipulated for applying it on the other parts.
592. One is free to choose between applying the camphor before the body is shrouded, while it is being shrouded or after it has been shrouded.
593. If a person who has put on the iÎrÁm for Hajj or ‘umrah passes away, it is not permissible to apply ÎunÙÔ on him. However, if he has put on the iÎrÁm for Hajj and passes away after completing the saÞÐ, it is obligatory to apply ÎunÙÔ on him.
594. If a woman who has not completed her ‘Ðddah after the death of her husband, passes away, it is obligatory to apply ÎunÙÔ on her.
595. The obligatory precaution is that the dead body should not be fragranced with musk, ambergris (‘ambar), aloeswood (‘Ùd) or other fragrances. The fragrances should not be mixed with the camphor either.
596. It is also recommended to mix a small amount of turbat al-Íusayn (Peace be upon him) in the camphor. However, the camphor should not be applied on places that would result in committing sacrilege. In addition, the amount of turbah should not be so much that once it is mixed with camphor, the resulting mixture is no longer considered as camphor.
597. If camphor is not available, or the available amount is only sufficient for the ghusl, then applying ÎunÙÔ will not be necessary. If the available amount is more than what is required for ghusl, but not sufficient for all the parts, recommended precaution dictates that it should first be applied on the forehead, and then other parts of the body if an amount is leftover.
598. It is recommended to place two pieces of fresh wet twigs in the grave with the dead body.